Thursday, May 17, 2012

#2- Babies


DOCUMENTARY TWO- Babies

What I learned: Whenever you have a Mongolian baby, he WILL try to explore... and by explore, I mean just keep on crawling until he reaches your herd of Yaks. Solution? It is not unreasonable to tie him to a bedpost to keep him at least inside on rainy days.
But seriously.... While there was no talking in this documentary, it was still very interesting. It examined pre-natal care, birthing, child-care, sibling rivalry, first steps, first words and so much more between cultures. It was so neat to see the attitude we take toward our young.

What I thought: Mongol baby was my favorite for sure. He was just such an explorer and amazed at everything from the rooster who got in bed with him to the goat drinking out of his bath. (Voted most entertaining baby, hands down) But it really was fascinating to see how by the end of the 18 months that we followed the babies, how much they had assimilated to their culture.

The African baby was very at home with skin, which is fully exposed in their culture (and in the movie). He is often seen looking at his brother's body and then looking at his own, discovering his own self. This was so pure of an experience and I wish all children could have that freedom.

The Asian baby was very intelligent (and could also throw quite the impressive temper-tantrum) but was shown contemplating blocks and how they fit together. It was so fascinating how at such a young age she was so entranced with how things worked.

The American baby had hardcore hippie parents... it was irritating. I realized I couldn't watch her life with unbiased eyes because it was too close to the culture I know.

Quote from the Movie: no talking...

So, Babies was decent and I spent most of my time saying "awwww" and melting at their chubby cheeks and thighs. If you just love watching squishy babies I recommend it.


amdg.

No comments:

Post a Comment