DOCUMENTARY ONE- God Grew Tired of Us
What I learned: The Lost Boys are not just Peter Pan's boys.
In fact, here in this distorted world, they are the boys who have grown up running. They started in Sudan and they had to run for their lives from their homeland. They saw horrible things. Their families and friends tortured and murdered in front of their very eyes. They ran. Thousands of miles. They banded together as brothers, new families and found their way to refuge camps.
One by one the lucky ones are placed all over the United States for a "better life." Pittsburgh. Philadelphia. New York. Phoenix. 23 states. All over. They get jobs. They see electricity for the first time. They learn "our ways."
What I think: While there is no open war in America, is it a better culture here? I'm feeling like it's not. They work hard, these Lost Boys. They care about their families. They are shocked at the lack of time we spend with each other and how truely lazy we are. It was fascinating to watch them and listen to what they think about our culture. But not only this.
People say that Stuebenville is a bubble. But what I think is America is a bubble. We don't even care what the person walking past us on the street is going through, let alone what the people in Sudan are going through EVERY DAY. This was so exemplified in the following quote.
Quote from the movie: "It is such a shame to see a community that doesn't even care about each other"
They are heroes. My week will be fasting and praying for the Lost Boys and Lost Girls who have not only known such physical hunger and pain but have known hunger of the heart like I can't imagine.
We are so blessed.
amdg
No comments:
Post a Comment